Sunday 17 February 2013

Recommended reading

Below is a list of animal and conservation books I've found very useful or interesting; one way or another they've all been of use to me as I work towards my career of choice. I hope they'll be interesting for you too!

The Animal Contract - Desmond Morris

One of the first books I ever read on animal conservation. Although the author is also known for his work on human psychology, Desmond makes a compelling argument for why the human is reliant on the well-being of  almost every animal. In particular I appreciate the conclusion involving 10 major elements of how people should ideally treat animals.



The Serengeti Lion 

I had to fit in a lion book somewhere! Besides "Big Cat Diary," this book has been highly useful in my public education and individual research work. Indeed a lot of the information used in my public lion talk comes from this book! Particularly interesting is the observational study on social behaviours, especially how lions do "play-bows" to each other in a similar way to dogs/wolves.


The Wolf Talk - Shaun Ellis

Shaun Ellis is my idol in the world of animal care and education; I once visited his base of operations (per se) at Coombe Martin Wildlife and Dinosaur Park to check on a wolf by the name of Lady Penelope who had moved on from Dartmoor Zoo. I spent over an hour listening to his wealth of knowledge about wolves, and he seemed more than happy to help. This book should give you an idea of how passionate Ellis is towards the conservation of the wolf, both in a hands-on manner and in terms of classic and modern conservation methods.




When Elephants Weep - Jeffrey Mason/Susan McCarthy


It's rare to find a non-fiction book that you can REALLY get stuck into, but this one managed to hook me flawlessly. It's not just about elephants; from lab animals to pets to comparisons between zoo and wild animals, there's all manner of unique animal behaviours to learn about here, and all while tugging at the heartstrings of human emotions.



Spirit of the Wild - Steve Bloom

I love a spot of photography, but I know I'll never been a match for this guy! Steve's worldwide theme is seldom bettered, and the book includes information about the circumstances surrounding each image to boot.


No comments:

Post a Comment